Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Guam Hangover

This has been a hard month.  I think harder than it should have been. Mostly because of my recent miscarriage but that's a story for another day.  I'm suffering from a Guam hangover.

"What is a Guam hangover?" you ask?

It's where you've lived on a tiny island for 4 years, then come back to the states and see that everything is different and you're having a hard time wrapping your head around it. It's when you go into 10 different places to apply for a job but they tell you to go home and use your computer because it's all online these days. You can't find a job because 200+ people are also applying for that same position you are.  You have to drive 70-80 mph when you're used to driving 40.  It's when you go to a restaurant and instead of ordering stuff from your server, you order on an iPad looking thing and see your server for all of 2 minutes of your 30 minute stay.  When you're asked to use a chip to pay for something and you're not even sure what a chip is...and you just thought it was decoration on your credit card.  Then you make an ass of yourself because you understand what the guy at Starbucks is saying, but you're not comprehending what he wants you to do.

Albeit, not a fair comparison, but I feel like Tom Hanks in Castaway. When he finally gets rescued and stands in the doorway flipping the light switches on and off again. The world progressed while I was stuck in a time vortex of warm weather, friends that became family and stunning beaches.  The whole world is spinning and I feel dizzy. Like a hangover, except less wine.

It's not all bad.  In fact, it's wonderful.  Antique stores, Hobby Lobby,  TARGET (it's in all caps because I love it), everyone ships to you, AMAZON PRIME (because I love that too), you're closer to your family,  and utility bills aren't anywhere near $400 a month for the lights you keep turned off to save on energy costs.

Although I'm not a fan of scorpions and the fact that I have to watch where I walk in my vast back yard because there might be rattlesnakes back there (I'm pretty sure there is because our backyard is literally brush, pokey trees, cacti and rabbits), and I also miss being able to drive 10 minutes to get a frozen cocktail on the beach.

What a transition, right?

In an effort to stave off my Guam hangover, I think I might drink some wine while binge watching Criminal Minds and give myself a real hangover to complain about :D

Hey, don't be judgey. Zach said I should enjoy this time off because it's not going to last for much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment